Saturday, September 6, 2008

The metal in Metallica

I can't say I'm a huge Metallica, but I will not deny the fact that they are genius(Ride the Lightning, Cliff 'Em All, Master of Puppets). We also know that they have been trying to keep up with the times by dropping their key and as a result, failed terribly(that rhymed). Saint Anger will be my proof, and the Saints in heaven know that it sucks too.

So here comes the new album, Lars said it will be awesome, I was hoping for that too. Then the songs started streaming online. The instruments are fine and up to standard(of being a fucking brilliant album of pure metal). Why only fine? Simply because I have really high expectations of them(They are Metallica!). Kirk and gang put up one heck of a performance, but James' vocals disappointed. He brought up his overall key by one full key. So you get a nicer sharper growl, which can be found in their first few albums, but he sounds jaded, slower, and boring at times. Heh, he's old I guess. It reminds me of the good old days, but not quite.

The Unforgiven III. Are you kidding me? Three songs about forgiveness. Coupled with The Day That Never Comes(sounds a lot like One), which makes me question about the metal in Metallica. Don't get me wrong, they are great songs, but as one of the "Big Four" of thrash metal, aren't you supposed to make music that's thrash? I have not heard the full album yet, but two ballads, come on you guys aren't Softrocklica!

I hope I have passed judgement too early and the album will be fantabby.

No comments: