Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Until Death do us part.

I, (Bride/Groom), take you (Groom/Bride), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.


I (name), take you (name) to be my (husband/wife), my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.

I've decided to write on my biased views about marriage. Well, my folks are having a rough patch right now. Momma's coming home late, which is quite weird since it only started this year. Dad's gotten himself a dose of paranoia. Heck, when your spouse comes home after midnight regularly, you start wondering about stuff. I don't blame dad one bit. Quarrels are regular. I'm getting pissed off about their childish behavior.

From a random website:

When couples marry today, there’s only a 50-50 chance the marriage will endure. Divorce rates remain near their all-time highs. Depending whose statistics you choose to believe, as many as 70% of marriages will experience "cheating" one or more times during their existence. Nearly a third of all children under 18 live in single-parent households. Nearly 8 million of these children live with single parents who have never been married. The social support network formerly provided by the extended family has virtually disappeared from contemporary life.

So obviously, "Until death do us part" is a hoax. And trust is constantly being betrayed. I'm just speechless about the figures. Do people even mean what they say? 70% experiencing cheating. Man if you want to sleep around, isn't staying single just so much more manageable? Especially after you have kids, aren't you just irresponsible to not provide your children(your children, not your neighbours or your friend's) with a wholesome childhood?

I'm stumped. The facts are just depressing. Wonder what they are thinking of when they say those vows. Not having to clean up after themselves anymore? Or the free condomless sex? OH OH! It must be having a free cab, 24/7.

Marriage used to be such a wonderful lifetime thing.

When I was young, I always had this image in my mind. 60 years from now. My wife, me. Benches. Beautiful lake. Feeding bread to ducklings. Hmm, if this worsens. How about, me working my ass off paying for my ex wife's extravagant lifestyle after our divorce.


Should I even bother getting married?

No comments: